The below link is a great article on Wired Magazine’s website. It talks about this history of one of my favorite board games, Settlers of Catan. It is a great read for any board game enthusiast.
Here are some of my highlights:
- Interesting view into Klaus Teuber and the making of Settlers.
- How Parker Brothers had to change the rules for German Risk to get it from not being banned by the German Government for encouraging imperialist and militaristic impulses in the nation’s youth.
- Hasbro is working to keep their legacy games (e.g., Monopoly, Risk) competitive with the German-style games.
- In 2007, Teuber launched the English- language version of PlayCatan.com.
- An awesome quote from Teuber – “The secret of Catan is that you have to bargain and sometimes whine.” I am the King of ‘Catan Whine’.
Check out the article yourself:
BTW, the photos are from Origins 2008. Myself, Trask, and another gaming friend tried out the MONSTER Catan. It was a lot of fun. And I was VICTORIOUS!